Before you update, it is best practice to:
- Always check our update notes
- Always backup the files and the database, in case something goes wrong with the server you could use the backup to revert to the previous state. For more information on how to backup check the official documentation.
- Do not keep older copies of the theme inside WordPress themes folder
- Reset the cache after you update
Preparation – How to download the update files from ThemeForest.net
- Log into your ThemeForest account, in your Downloads tab look for the houserent theme
- Click the Download button next to it and choose to download the Installable WordPress Theme (the WordPress file)
- After downloading the files, you must decide if you want to install the update via FTP, via WordPress or update automatically via Envato WordPress Toolkit. For directions on all methods, please continue reading below.
A. Update the theme via FTP
- Step 1 – Place your site in maintenance mode, for this you could use a plugin (ex. Ultimate Maintenance Mode, WP Maintenance Mode, … etc.)
- Step 2 – Go to “your site/wp-content/themes” folder location and backup your houserent theme folder by saving it to your computer, or you can choose to simply delete it. Your content will not be lost, but please note that if you have modifications on the theme code they will be lost. You have to reapply them after the update is over.
- Step 3 – Connect to your FTP account using Filezilla.
- Step 4 – Inside Filezilla navigate to the WordPress theme directory “your site/wp-content/themes”.
- Step 5 – Retrieve the houserent.zip file from your new ThemeForest download and extract the file to get the updated houserent theme folder.
- Step 6 – Drag and drop the new “Houserent” theme folder into “your site/wp-content/themes” and overwrite the existing files.
B. Update the theme via WordPress
- Step 1 – Deactivate the current “houserent” theme from the Appearance > Themes section by simply activating a different theme. Once you activate a different theme, delete the houserent theme. Don’t worry, your content will not be lost.
- Step 2 – Get the “houserent.zip” file from your new Themeforest download (Installable WordPress file only). If you downloaded the “All Files & Documentation” from Themeforest, then you need to unzip the archive file you received, the houserent.zip will be inside it.
- Step 3 – Go to Appearance > Themes, choose Add New Theme, Upload the “houserent.zip” and click on the “Install Now” button.